Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I stuck carefresh in my rats cage and my rats sneeze like crazy?

I took the bedding out and replaced it with newspaper. They stopped sneezing. What could i do to help my ratties.I stuck carefresh in my rats cage and my rats sneeze like crazy?
Its hard to get all dust out of bedding product and your ratties could have super sensitive noses. I would say maybe because you had just put new bedding in but you said when you replaced it with newspaper they stopped. There is also this stuff call Soft Sorbant that I used but my girls didnt like it and would throw it through the bars of the cage to show there displeasure. Soft Sorbant doesnt have any dust in it and is reccomended along with Carefresh. You can also use Yesterdays News. My girls didnt like it either. They like the Carefresh. These are all excellent products to use with rats and there delicate respitory systems. I know alot of rat owners use aspen bedding but I dont reccomend it. My rats all got massive respitory infections from that stuff. I have personally used all 3 and a good substitute for the carefresh is Soft Sorbant. Its about $15 for a big bag and a little goes a long way. Saved me money but they didnt like it so we went back to carefresh. Good luck and hope I helped.I stuck carefresh in my rats cage and my rats sneeze like crazy?
They're probably allergic to it. I don't know why people are always recommending Carefresh bedding, it seems like a lot of rodents are allergic to it.. %26lt;%26lt;





I would recommend Healthy Pet. It's hypoallergenic, so your ratties won't be allergic to it. ^^


It's also the #1 bedding for rodents. Absorbs 3x as much urine as wood chips and suppresses odor better than any other brand.


I also find it very cheap! $20 for a large bag. (:





Either way, I don't think you should use Carefresh anymore. If they're allergic to it, then obviously it's not good for them and putting them in it otherwise could lead to them getting bloody noses (from sneezing too much) and other stuff, bad.


The newspaper will be fine. You could probably sell the rest of your bedding to someone else, too. If you have any friends that could use it, just sell it a little cheaper and I'm sure they'd take it. ;)
Care fresh can be a little dusty. It's a great product in my opinion but you will notice when you pour it in the little paper particles fly up that may be what bothered them. I would recomend the unbleaced undied version. I use to use yesterdays new along with something soft for bedding like paper towels or carefresh. Or you can look for something on one of these websites.
keep the newspaper in because they were probably allergic to the other bedding..try some alternatives to bedding call a pet store they might kno more than i do i dont have much experience with rats, but for screaming when i see one lol
Carefresh is very dusty, and your rats could be allergic. Simply don't use that bedding anymore. I prefer Yesterday's News to Carefresh, anyway.
Maybe they are just allergic to that scent?

No comments:

Post a Comment