Friday, February 12, 2010

Can my rats still learn to use the litter box?

My rats are about 6 months old. Are they too old to learn how to use the litter box? Also what kind of toys do you give our rats, and what do they sleep in?Can my rats still learn to use the litter box?
Most of my male rats love their hammocks. My girls want no part of it other than to climb thru it on occasion. All my ratties love boxes with an opening and some shredded newspaper to fill it with. None of my ratties are litter box trained. I gave up and they all use the litter box as a place to sleep with some shredded newspaper in it. I also have plastic igloos (large ones) for the ratties in their cage too, as well as plastic baskets that are a bit open so they can get airflow in them. I make my own hammocks from fleece. But they get peed on, pooped on and chewed up, and that's to be expected. They also need to be washed on a regular basis, so perhaps you'd want to get 2 more tubes for your rats since they liked theirs so much and you'll have a spare for when you wash one. I give my ratties some ferret and cat toys that are safe, like balls. I've found puppy type tug toys for them too, and some bird toys. Toddler toys are fun - they're sturdy enough and big enough for the ratties to climb on and in depending on what it is. They like things they can chew the best - like empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls, and shredded newspaper with their boxes for decorating.





It's never too late to litter box train a rat - it just requires persistence and patience and I lack that with how many ratties I have, so they can do their thing and be happy.Can my rats still learn to use the litter box?
heavens no! Rats are highly intellegiant animals and can always be taught new things! I highly doubt you wouldn't be able to teach them how to use the litter box





For toys, I give my two wooden balls (wooden wicker type balls....made for small animals), cardboard (they llooovvveee to shred it up), and really anything safe for them.





And for sleeping in do you mean what to use for the bedding in the cage? If yes, I highly recommend CareFresh. I use that for my two and I love it!


Or for an actual bed type thing: I've tried giving my rats something to sleep on (three times already) and they still choose to sleep in the one corner..and if I put the bed or towel in that corner they will move it hehe
u may still have a chance to teach them to use the litter box. my rat sleeps in a wooden hut. it has to little holes cut out for entering and exiting. and its great for her to chew on. and i made a hammock and tunnel out of old socks. i also made a braided rope out of old socks for her to tug on. i even tie her treats somewhere in her cage. she has to climb to get to it and they are in a different spot every time i clean her cage. its a good hide and seek game.
  • tvs
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment