Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How do I get my rats to go on a Rat Wheel?

I am very good with rats, you may have seen a bunch of my answers in this column on rats. I am not an expert, though. I know a lot of stuff about em but, you know. Well, I got my rats a huge cage with a wheel for them. They were NOT raised on a wheel, so they're not using it. I want them to get their excersize and have more fun on their wheel. How do I influence them to go on the wheel?How do I get my rats to go on a Rat Wheel?
What kind of wheel is it? A lot of rats don't like mesh or wire wheels, but will like a solid plastic one. One great wheel is the Wodent Wheel, which you can order online.





Try giving your rats a treat when they go on it. Only do this intermittently, as animals will learn faster if the praise if only once in a while. (They will keep trying in order to get the prize, like people playing a slot machine)





Or try putting a treat like jam or a bit of yogurt on the top of the wheel in the inside, so they have to run on the wheel before they can get to the jam or whatever it is.





Give them time. Rome wasn't built in a day, and rats are sometimes apprehensive of new things, so they might have to get used to it.





In the end, though, some rats take to wheels happily, some rats don't, and others will with a little coercion. It's just like some people like swimming, or riding a bike, and others hate it.





Do you have a room in your house, (I use my bathroom) where there is nothing valuable or important (be careful of electrical wires, as well!) for your rats to chew up, hide under, or pee all over? You could let them free-range there every so often under supervision for exercise, instead of the wheel if they REALLY hate it.How do I get my rats to go on a Rat Wheel?
Assuming the wheel is the right size [if it isnt they wont bother trying to use it really and if they do it will damage their spine] all you can do is leave it in their cage.


Some of my rats love their wheel, but when I first got it, the same rats hated it. They tried hiding it with bedding etc. but eventually they began to like it and now take it in turns running on it all the time. My male rats have shown little interest in the wheel, but my female rats LOVE theirs. If you have only just put the wheel in I would give it a little time and see if they take to it.





Edit: Have just seen your edit and as they are female I would think that if you leave them with it for a while they will use it, they are just wary of it at the moment.





Also just because rats use a wheel does not mean they dont get enough out of cage time Prodigy, my girls are out for atleast 2 hours a day not including the time i have the out individually, yet they still enjoy their wheel, it's just down to the individual rat.
Firstly, make sure the rats fit the wheel they are running on because it can damage their spines if it is too big or small.


Most rats will use their wheel eventually once they get used to it. Leave the wheel in there and let them get used to its presence.


If your rats need a bit more encouragement then put a dab of peanut butter on the top, inside of the wheel so that they need to move the wheel to get to it.


Some rats never end up liking the wheel, in that case just rat proof a room in your house and let them run freely.
I'd say to leave them be if you have just gotten it, if they're not interested after a week I dont think anything could be done about it, it could be to do with the type of wheel I dont know. If you want to exercise them having them going up the stairs can be quite good. I train all of my rats to do it they love it.


(edit) of yeah and if you choose to let them free roam don't get them those oversized hamster balls bigger rodents can have, rats absolutly hate it being closed off like that.
Many rats will not use a wheel. I personally think they are too smart to run on a stationary object. It is far better for them to get their exercise from the time they get out of their cage. If they are getting an adequate amount of free time(playing outside of the cage), then there really is no reason for them to use a wheel.





They may use the wheel and they may not. I have never had a rat that would use a wheel. I only bought one(about 5 years ago) and returned it about a week later.

No comments:

Post a Comment