Friday, February 12, 2010

Is it safe to put timothy hay in a rats cage?

I don't have a rat, and don't plan on getting one. I was wondering if it is safe to give rats timothy hay to play in or eat?Is it safe to put timothy hay in a rats cage?
Theres nothing thats going to kill them, unless theres fungus on it. I have to give my rats a piece or two of timothy when I'm feeding the guinea pig or they throw an absolute fit. They either ignore it or take it down to their nest box to use as lining. I've never seen them eat it. Its not a very good bedding choice, because it really doesn't absorb odors, and gets moldy quickly. And as for eating... I doubt they'll eat it. I know they can't digest alfalfa, but alfalfa is a legume and timothy isnt.





anyway. It won't cause harm, I just don't think it'll do any good, other things would be better.Is it safe to put timothy hay in a rats cage?
Yes, it is safe to give rats Timothy hay. As an extra precaution it is recommended to cut the hay into 2 to 3 inch lengths. This allows the hay to lay flat on the bedding and prevents the rat's bulbous eyes from being accidently poked.





Some of my rats have ignored it, some eat it, some just chew it up, some burrow around in it, and a few will actually use it as nest bedding.





The bales of hay that are used for horses are not recommended for small animals as there is a chance of bugs, mold, dust, and weeds being in the hay. The safest timothy hay for rats is the pre-packaged commercial product. It's been sterilized.





spazrats


';my life has gone to the Rats';
yes
ya its fine to feed them timothy hay the pet stores sell it in packages for you to feed to your pets
i do not think so....

No comments:

Post a Comment