Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do I stop my female rats from fighting all the time?

They have lived in the same cage all their lives and they're about 6 mo. old. Izzy barbers Mary Jane until she has bald spots on her head and Izzy has marks all over her from where MJ nibbles on her. they look like little blood smears on Izzy's fur. I separate them from time to time but it doesn't seem to help. Can anyone help me? They're sisters and it doesn't seem like they should be hurting each other so often! It has become an every night thing.How do I stop my female rats from fighting all the time?
How ironic, I have a rat named Izzy except SHE is the alpha female. Sadly when it get's this bad, you have to separate them.


Or something I've done. Before Izzy I had another rat who was the alpha female except she, like your caused cuts. So I went to the pet store and bought Izzy who was already an adult, she took the role of Alpha female and isn't as violent and because the other girl isn't in charge anymore she doesn't hurt anyone. However this is all a huge game of chance, when I did this I doubted it would work. But Like I said, some animals can't be with other animals and have to be by themselves.How do I stop my female rats from fighting all the time?
It's because they're having dominance issues, they're right around that time in age.


We were able to keep 2 female rats that weren't even related together because one was fine with being submissive. If they are fighting that much, one is eventually going to lose and could end up seriously hurt or killed. I'd separate them but keep them close by each other for a while.
That isn't blood, their mucus is red, its just saliva from grooming. Barbering can be a symptom of a physical or neurological disorder, you should see a vet.
go buy a male rat have it Fixed )and put it with your female rats ,fit stops
give them to someone else.
Don't give up yet. They're around the age of working out dominance, but somethings to also take into consideration:





How big is the cage? Check the dimensions of the cage with a cage calculator


--%26gt;http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.sht鈥?/a>





Sometimes when a cage is to small, fighting can get a bit out of hand as there is not enough space for one of the rats to get away to their own space.





another thing you can try to do to get them to calm down is to let them have free range time for 45 mins to an hour everyday, to let the burn some energy.





If this doesn't work you can try spaying the more aggressive female (as her aggression can be hormone related).





Spaying also has health benefits as well. Spaying can reduce the chance of tumors.





However, spaying is also very expensive so getting a neutered male (neutering is cheaper) for the more aggressive rat to live with is also another option.





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment