Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What types of fruit and veggies do rats eat?

what veggies and fruit are ok for my pet rat to eat? which veggies are safe, which fruit is ok,


eg.is corn ok or beans etc. do they need to be cooked or not?What types of fruit and veggies do rats eat?
Rats eat almost anything...lol...Many fruits and veggies are good for them. Mine get carrots, grapes, apples, blueberries, strawberries, ect.


Most veggies should be given to them raw, corn and beans should be cooked when you give them to you rats to make digestion easier.





Here's a list of fruits and veggies...


http://www.pxrats.com/ratfood11.html





It's really easy to find lots of sites with good foods for rats...just search for rat nutrition...


Remember, not to feed fruits and veggies too often, and when you add a lot of new food to their diet..expect and change in their smell(everytime I take my rats to my mom's house, she give them treats upon treats that they aren't used to and their cage gets a really bad smell...)





GOOD LUCK!! Hope this helps...What types of fruit and veggies do rats eat?
Corn is hard to digest, he will like carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and any kind of fruit.
do not give them cucumbers!! they will bloat and die.. yeah it happened to my aunts rat....my rat on the other hand eats everything and he does good..try grapes and bananas
Rats can eat a LOT of things! However some foods are deadly to rats! I had a complete list somewhere however I cant find it at the moment. I will search for the site were I got my information from and will post it when I find it ( there was a list of foods that were cancer preventatives) :)





Food rats can eat:


Broccoli


Cauliflower


Spaghetti


Cornflakes


Crackers


Dog biscuits ( good for teeth)


Pasta


A rat and mouse mixture


Rat and mouse pellets


Sunflower seeds


Rolled oats


Rice


Couscous


Veggies such as tomatoes, cucumbers


I give my rats a little bit of garlic spread on bread, as it is an antibiotic for them


Red grapes


Plums


Edit: I forgot my rats love corn, I give them steamed corn as it tastes nicer than canned.





Foods rats should not eat:


Chocolate! Avoid giving them chocolate at all cost!


Soft drink! Rats cant burb, giving them soft drinks could be fatal
almost anything, probably...my gerbil loved strawberries and different cheeses, also lettus can be good every once in a while...you kinda just feed them different foods and see which ones they eat...if you give them somthing they dont like, they wont eat it.
Any is fine as long as it is nutricional and not artificial or canned!
Fruits: apples, applesauce, apricots, avocados, bananas, berries, cantaloupes, cherries, dates and figs, grapes, guavas, honeydew melons, kiwis, mangos, melons, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pomegranates, plums, prunes, pumpkins, raisins, star fruits, strawberries and watermelon.





Vegetables:beet, broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, cucumber, eggplant, green beans, peas, squash, spinach, sweet potato, tomato, yam and zucchini.
The only thing rats can't have is any kind of citris like organes lemons, limes, grapefruit, ect. They basically like anything else. The only other thing my rats really won't eat is celery.
apples, cucumber, lettuce, carrot, oh and give it a tortilla
rats love bananas, also avocado given in small amounts raw broccoli and corn-on-the-cob are a favorite with rats also whole wheat bread. Treats such as dry, healthy, low-sugar cereals Cheerios, puffed wheat,rice,millet, spoon-size shredded wheat, etc. plain popcorn, wild bird seed, dry oatmeal, occasional table scraps such as veges, salad, spaghetti, etc., are okay

1 comment:

  1. They probably don't eat celery anymore, because it's not good for them. My rats don't eat spinach anymore - raw spinach is bad. Raw mushrooms are also bad.

    The website I use -
    https://pethelpful.com/rodents/Rat-Nutritional-Information-Can-my-Pet-Rat-Eat-This

    ReplyDelete