Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How do I gradually put my two rats together?

I have two rats. They are both female, and very energetic. I once tried to put them in the same cage, but it leaded to a fight, and one of them got an abscess. Now that my rat is healed, I need to put them in the same cage again, but I'm not sure how to do it more gradually so that it doesn't happen again. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks!How do I gradually put my two rats together?
ratties are territorial...if you introduce them on neutral territory it will probably work out better





let them both out of their cages for 'playtime' together...do it several times a day and they will eventually make friends, Im sure...rats love company more than being on their own, except in very very rare cases





you can put a drop of vanilla on both of them at the base of their tails, this helps to make them have the 'same smell' which is VERY important to ratties as smell is their main sense





ratties spill a few drops of their pee on each other to 'scent' each other so they can mark that they 'belong' to the same social group





rats do a 'powergroom' thing to each other to determine who is the Alpha rat, it can look quite violent but as long as no one is bleeding then it is better to let them sort it out





my older ratties pin my baby down and powergroom her to show their dominant position, sometimes I want so bad to intervene but I can see that they are not seriously hurting her and she is better off when they accept her as part of their group





actually they have done so now, it has taken about 2-3 weeks...





the best thing you can do is take it gradually and let them make friends at their own pace, but dont let them do any serious damage to each other in the process





btw, ratties stand up and 'box' each other and do other actions that we can think of as fighting but it is part of how they behave and is nothing to worry about most of the time





good luck :)How do I gradually put my two rats together?
clena out ur cage so there sno trac eof smell useally u would clena the cage like this..





okay cleaning a cage is always the most hardest thing that loads of peaple get wrong





u put 3 caps full of ordinary bleach into 1/4 of warm water then you get a brush or a cloth and wash ur cage get off all the muck then u leave it for 5 mins come back and rinse it of with normal water





and this is very safe for them =]





then with toys and ur bottles put them in a full bucke of bleach and water and soak them and leave them for 1 hour then come abck and put them in a bucket of clean water and let them soal for anther hour them let them dry or dry them off with a towel it pervents falgy and germs groing on toy/bottle/bowls





then after that put them in together they will fight anyway but not full on and let them do ti tis the way to c whos boss

No comments:

Post a Comment