Friday, February 12, 2010

What are good ways to get rid of rats/mice?

They are not pet mice, they are wild mice and are some how getting in our house. I would like to know ways to not let any more in the house and to get rid of the ones that are inside. Also good rat/mouse poison and/or traps (they do not have to be humane). Good websites would be helpful.





ThanksWhat are good ways to get rid of rats/mice?
Go to the shelter and save a couple of ferrel cats. Feed them outside and you will never have a problem with mice. Otherwise, place the sticky traps in strategic spots, so you wont have to use any poison. They will go someplace to smell and die where you may not be able to retrieve them, like between walls. Ugh!What are good ways to get rid of rats/mice?
Well, it's disgusting...but last year I scattered fox urine all around the perimeter of the house. I had a problem early in the fall (Minnesota--they start coming in around October), but I didn't see any after that. I have humane traps set that I bait and re-bait every week in the fall/winter months....but they were empty after fox urine. However, I just now checked one of my humane traps (hadn't checked them all summer as that's not usually a problem)...and there was a goner in one from god knows when. He was stuck...it was gross, and defeated the purpose of the humane trap. Anyway, off I go for more fox urine. I have holes around my garage where they get in easily. I have a sports car that I store in the winter (in the garage). I put moth balls in the car and all over the garage so they don't eat my car or build nests in it (I've had rats and mice inside internal parts in cars in the past, chewing wires and messing everything up....when I lived in another part of town....so I'm just being precautious.
A mouse can get into your house through a hole the size of your pinkie finger so you have to seal everything with metal mesh and spray foam insulation. Personally I find plastic snap traps and glue traps to be the most effective things. We can't buy any of the poisons that you seem to be able to get. Anyway with poison they crawl off and die in places where you can't reach the bodies - very smelly and annoying.
Luckily enough, I haven't had this problem. Probably because I have cats that catch mice and birds. I did, however, find this very useful website in my searches and I've used it quite a few times. Here's the link. Hope it helps.


http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/mice鈥?/a>



This stuff works good in the barn and on the boat.


http://www.critter-repellent.com/
  • tvs
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment