Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do I teach my male rats that its not ok to pee on me or outside the cage?

I know my baby rats aren't even a couple of months old yet but its still seriously time to start training that its not ok to pee everywhere. Of course you can't disipline them and I'd never do that anyways. But how do you teach them? I love to get them out to play and they love to snuggle in the pocket of my hoodie but yesterday they both peed on me. GROSS!!! I've tried to play with them for a short period of time and then put them back for a little while so they can have a potty break. Since their little and have very small bladders. Is that all I can do until they learn or what? Also how do you train them to get back into their cage when they need to go? Like when I let them out to run around the bedroom? Thanks to all who reply.How do I teach my male rats that its not ok to pee on me or outside the cage?
Mouse trap. Peanut butter works better than cheese.How do I teach my male rats that its not ok to pee on me or outside the cage?
Rats are litter trainable. Here is a page that will explain how (tired and dont feel like typing)..


http://www.dapper.com.au/articles.htm#litter





You can bring a litter box out during playtime and they should use it readily (once trained in the cage lol)
sorry I am experienced with rats and that is their ature. when they gotta go, they gotta go... you cannot prevent this ! SORRY ;)
Believe it or not, there are little rat litterboxes sometimes. If you have a rat cage, you can put the litterbox in there and some kitty litter will attract it. You can eventually train it to go in there. When it poops, if you put the poop in there every time it goes, it will eventually get the message to poop/pee in the litterbox.
hi there, male rats in particular like to scent mark their ';territory'; and this can be mistaken for urine. i have two youngish (7 months) male rats who scent mark and it has been impossible to get them to stop - although it is odourless and usually only a small amount. as for peeing and other toileting they both use a litter tray in their cage. the advice i was given for toilet training was to make sure that everytime they go for a poo you pick it up and put it into the place or container where you would like them to go. it may take a week or longer of doing this before they realise that is where you want them to go. i also used to pick up the wet clumps of litter/apsen and place those in the container - although they quickly made it clear that they wanted a seperate container for peeing. hope this helps a little. enjoy your ratties - they are so much fun! oh and by the way - i dont think all males rats have this problem - my last male ratty never scent marked at all!
I'm not confident that is possible. I think you just need to learn to see it as marking their territory as affection toward you! It's kind of gross but you'll probably get used to it. If you get a litter box (small animal box w/ small animal litter) and can coax them into using it to urinate daily they will probably continue to use it on their own because they pick their spots.


If you come up to them in the cage when they're sleeping give them a minute to stretch and do their business before coming out, as well.


Good luck!
I have been potty training my rat for the last 2 weeks ands its really not hard. When i get him out i first put him in the bath tub and tell him to ';go peepee'; and wait till he does, then i praise him and we go on with our day. About a half an hour or so later i will do the same thing and eventually your rat will get that he is to go to the bathroom when you ask. Keep taking him to the bath tub until you figure out his schedule. My rat after 2 weeks is trained to go in the bath tub and i am now training him to use the sink (in case a tub is not available).
  • web hosting talk
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment