Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How do I get my 2 rats used to playing in water?

I have 2 boy rats 5 mths old and I'd like to see them playing in the water, but they are scared, any tips?How do I get my 2 rats used to playing in water?
Take a paint roller idk what its called bin? Where you put the paint in for your roller.


It is sloped so they have a shallow end and a deep end.


Put some rocks in the water and add some frozen peas.


Let your rats go to the water not the other way around.


They will eventually go in.


Some rats just do not like water and nothing you can do will make them get in.


Make sure to treat them when they are in.


Here is a video illustrating this!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7end071b3鈥?/a>How do I get my 2 rats used to playing in water?
Don''t force them too much. What i used to do in summer when it got hot, i'd fill a bowl with water (shollow-ish) and put a pile of frozen peas in the bottoms, so they'd have to fish them out with there paws.


They liked it! What you could do is fill your bath SHALLOWLY and let them run around in it, if they liked the frozen peas game! DON'T make it deep water, keep the water luke warm, and towel dry them after in case they catch a cold! Be careful, and if they obviously don't like it, please don't force them! Some of my rats used to love frozen pea fishing, others hated the water, and i obviously didn't force them to do it!


~Good luck!!~
'push them in and don't let them out'? wow, drown them, great idea when they are already scared!





the person who thought they would get a fungal infection is wrong, but i think i know where they got it. hamsters can get some wet tail desiese, my aunt's hamster died recently by it. But rats are supposed to love water. My rat hates baths, but they need them sometimes. Try put a small bowl of warm water in the cage. They will have more water to drink, and rats sometimes like playing in the water there, but you don't want them to freeze, so make sure they don't get cold or they'll be sick. Also, don't put baby rats, like really young rats in water.
Wow, I'm really surprised as some of these silly and even violent answers. My first suggestion would be to ignore all of those bad answers, my second would be: Although I've herd a lot of great things about the peas and bowl, some rats just don't get it. They don't have great eyesight, and if they aren't used to the water, they wont go fishing for peas in it. (some will though, and some LOVE the pea fishing game) Some things that I have done that were successful was: I used to take showers in a long tub (like many people do) and I would put my rat on the side where the water was not directly falling, so he'd just get sprinkled. He didn't mind this at all and he loved being near me so he'd sit and wait and wash himself and not mind getting sprinkled at all. Later he learned to run around my feet under the stream of water and enjoyed it, sometimes he would even sit on my shoulder in the shower. If you have a tub you can also fill it up shallowly with warm water (like an inch) and put them in there, don't abandon them because if they are terrified of water they will be frantic. You can pet them and wash them for a few minutes and then towel dry them off and give them a treat afterward so they will see it as positive. You can always bathe them in your sink or like many people said, put a pan of water in their free ranging area and let them explore it for themselves. I like to take my new rats into my shower with me and although it startles them at first they calm down when they realize that the water is nice and warm and they become more relaxed each time I take them in, sometimes they'll push the curtain open and jump into the shower stall and run in and out of the water really quick too, lol. Rats really like water and whoever said that rats don't like it naturally is WRONG. I saw in my local forest that has a creek a lone rat that jumped into the creek to swim across. It was beautiful and amazing. Rats are good simmers, our pet rats just usually have no exposure to water, but some rats if given proper exposure will happily jump into bathtubs with you (true story). I believe that all rats can get used to water, but if it just doesn't seem to work for your boys after awhile, you may just want to find another way to have fun with them and move on. The key is to be delicate with the process so you don't scare the bananas out of your rat with the water, and they see it as a pleasurable fun experience.
Rats don't always like water. They may never get used to it. But you can put a pan of shallow water in their free-range room and put frozen peas in it to coax them in. Don't just put them in it, though. It is terrifying and stressful for them if they don't like water.





-She was not talking about ';forcing'; them into water. All she said was that she wanted them to like it. Jeez, touchy people. And the person above it is an idiot. Rats usually love water. It is natural for them.
YOU SHOULD NEVER PUT RODENTS IN WATER! DONT DO IT PLEASE...





THEY WILL GET A FUNGAL INFECTION AND THEY CAN DIE!
for god's sake, if they're scared, don't force the poor rats to 'play' in water.
push them in and dont let them out

No comments:

Post a Comment