Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is it okay to feed my rats animal products or meat?

I usually feed them dry rat food and pellets. Sometimes I give them fruits and vegtables. I was just wondering- is it okay to feed them meats or cheeses?Is it okay to feed my rats animal products or meat?
Meat is fine, provided it's cooked - raw meat can contain germs and/or worms that are MORE likely to affect the rats than they are you. Cheeses are a bad idea - they tend to be WAY too high in fat. Try a little bit of fat-free yoghurt - please note, some rats are lactose intolerant or allergic to milk, so if they develop the runs, hold the dairy.





Edit: That old wives' tale about rats and meat is just that - a myth. I've given my rats meat, eggs, fish etc. since the day I got them and it had no effects on their behaviour. Any time I ever got bitten was my own stupid fault.





Handling rats after having just cooked dinner might get you bitten, but that's because they can't see very well, and so they rely on their noses. Yummy food distracts ratty noses so that they can't tell the difference between food and fingers.Is it okay to feed my rats animal products or meat?
as long as it's cooked and fed on moderation, i used to give my rats cooked chicken, sometimes ham, and even cooked beef! they also love pork and crunchy pork rind - great for their teeth, but of course, don't over do it with the pork rind!


i gave mine only a little cheese, to avoid upset tummies and obesity.


with all the above, a little every now and then is what i used to give mine, and it didn't do them any harm at all.


xxx
Yes, it is fine to give rats meat or cheese-in a moderation. A small piece of cheeseburger is fine, but to much makes them sick. The best food to give a rat is mainy fruits, vegetables, and specially developed rat food, but some meat or cheese as a occaisonal treat won't hurt them.
Yes, but make sure it's cooked and don't give too much to them. Rats can develop skin problems is they have too much protein. They're meant to live on a more carbo-rich diet.
Too much cheese can upset their tummies. Rats do like meat, but if small children handle the rats often I would avoid feeding them meat. Meat eating rats tend to be nippy especially to small fingers. When my rat was pregnant we gave her cooked hamburger once a day. She never got nippy, but my brother's pre-school teacher said to watch it, they have had to get rid of many rats untill they figured out why they started biting.

No comments:

Post a Comment