Friday, February 12, 2010

Is it okay to keep two baby male rats in a aquarium until they are bigger and I can get a cage?

Okay so I'm planning on getting two baby male rats, and I have an extra tank for them. I was wondering if it would be big enough for them until I can find a good cage for them. Because I want them to be able to move around and breathe without harming themselves. Hurry and answer!!!!!Is it okay to keep two baby male rats in a aquarium until they are bigger and I can get a cage?
Its never recommended to keep rats in tanks at all. If its only for a few days I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if you used correct bedding like Carefresh or some old towel or fleece. I wouldn't keep them in it longer than a week at the most though. Tanks have very bad ventilation and can cause upper respiratory infections in all small animals.





They wont fight however. That's a common misconception. I have 5 male rats, all different ages and they all live harmoniously together.





Good luck with your boys! Email me if you need more help or check out Goosemoose.com. Great rat site you should join.Is it okay to keep two baby male rats in a aquarium until they are bigger and I can get a cage?
Two baby males will be ok in a 20 gallon or bigger tank for a few weeks, however make sure you get them into a large wire cage as soon as you can. If you are going to keep them in a tank, make sure you clean in 2-3 times a week to avoid any build up of ammonia from urine that may harm your rats.





This is not ideal, but it will be ok for a short amount of time.
i usually start my guys off in a 20 gallon tank. the reason i do this is because the wires on my cage are not good for them till they are big enough that they cant squeeze out of them. i thought they were big enough one time and put them in and my smaller one squeezed right out. i almost had a heart attack. just keep it clean and watch them for the first few hours they are in the new cage
i do not think you should maybe they will fight

No comments:

Post a Comment