Sunday, February 7, 2010

How can I convince my parents to let me buy at least 2 rats?

I've tried everything I can think off to get my parents into rats, but nothing has worked. I will be paying for the rats, cage, food, water, vet bills etc.How can I convince my parents to let me buy at least 2 rats?
Rats by far are the best small pets, popular to what people think they are not dirty or smelly like other little furrys they are very clever and intelligent. I have just got 2 dumbo rats left after having upto 13 in the cage, they come when they call their names,even when they have got out of theyre cage! I think a lot of people are misinformed about rats and it's not until you own them that this will go away :D If ppl are thinking about the plague they need to realise that the rats were hosts to the fleas it was the living conditions and fleas that spread the disease rats were only hosts.How can I convince my parents to let me buy at least 2 rats?
Oh dear I dont blame your parents, yuck! But I know what its like to want a pet, whatever that might be. Just tell them that you will be the one that will look after them and clean their cage etc. Will you though? Are you sure you will, because after a while you will probably get fed up doing this and it will be left to your parents to do it. Think it over real good before you try again with them.
Unfortunately it is very hard to convince people who don't like rats to change. If you have any other pets, make sure you are taking care of them above and beyond their expectations, that way they can't claim you won't be responsible with a rat.





If they just don't like rats or think they are gross, try finding somebody in your area who has a (nice!) pet rat they can see, or if you are lucky enough to have a rat show in your area take them there to see the different kinds of rats and how great a pet they can be.





Try finding out their specific concerns about rat ownership. Are they afraid the rats will smell? Escape and get into the walls? Cause disease? There are many myths about rats that can frighten people, and if you know their exact concern you can do your research (or add to this question) and help make them understand.





My mother took 3 years to convince to let me get a rat, and the only reason she did is because her sister got two rats for her children and said they were good pets. When she finally let me get one, she was surprised at how good a pet they were and she still has rats to this day, after I have moved out! Just keep at it (but don't be TOO forceful or it will get annoying to them), show them you know your stuff, and show them you can be responsible.





For more information about rats please check out my website (link in profile), or feel free to email me by clicking on my user name. Good luck!
If they say NO, then there is nothing you can do, except abide by their wishes.
Try the ';It wont cost you anything'; approach, not ';Ill pay for it';. Sounds a lot better, and remember to tell them, that they only get sick if in really cold, not fed or no water.
rats??????????


rightttttt


you should just lie and get them, my sister did that with a hamster once, and we kept it, and it was adorable


unbeknownst to us, my father dear was allergic to hamsters so we had to give it away to my friend, but my advice is just go for it, if you want them that bad, why should they stop you
If you're parents are really anti-rat, you should consider trying for a ferrets-- they're more work, but they're actually less smelly than rats if cared for properly (both animals have a natural musk to them). They're much smarter than rodents (they're mustildae-- rats are super intelligent, but not quite ferret level), and they're very cute, loving, playful, and actually interactive (like tiny cats or dogs).





Rats are cool, but they aren't particularly sweet creatures so if your parents are put off by the idea of them, they're not exactly going to be swayed by rat charms. Ferrets, however, while they have a reputation for being musky, don't have that sewer-trash reputation, and I really don't know anyone -- even someone who was initially weary of a ferret -- not getting cuted-out by a ferret playing.





They're really great pets, and I really feel like someone looking for more than just a hamster (rats are clearly much smarter than hamsters) might do well with a ferret.


---





Edit: ah, so you have a ferret in the house. Well, if your parents are cool with ferrets, rats actually aren't THAT dissimilar (ferrets are more social and playfull, but rats are overall less expensive and less care). You could use that as a comparative point...
why'd you want a rat, of all the animals you could want. A rat? Why not a guineapig, or a ferret.
there isn't really a way you can CONVINCE.... your parents to llet you get get a rat but if you are really seriouse about getting one and takeing resposibility for one you could start by researching them this will show your parents that you know the responsibility of careing for a rat and as a next step you could try volunteering ata shelter that cares for rats and take your parents with you (rats are very careing and kind animals that love to be around people and love to just be with whether you are just loungeing around reading a book o watching t.v.....ect they will be perfectly happy just sitting on your lap actually as i am typing this response my rat is just sleeping on my lap curled up in a ball...... rats are one of the best pets you can have and if you are seriouse about getting one show your parents that.
well if your parents say no! they have their own difficulties so i think you should follow what they say since some rats may be hard to take care of..
well if your going to pay for everything and look after them yourself, i dont see why they wont let you get some. my mam doesnt like rats mostly because of their tails, but i want to get 2 after my 18th birthday. last year i told my mam i was getting a hamster, she said it was fine, just as long as i cleaned it out. i buy all its food and bedding myself. how old are you? if your quite young your parents might not think your responsible enough to look after 2 rats by yourself.


but im sure theyl give in sooner or later.
Rats are sociable animals and as they are nocturnal, they should not be kept singly. If you're parents are that against them, take them to a local rescie centre and get the volunteers there to show them how friendly and intelligent rats are. Most recsue centres would be happy to help and they appreciate the support that you'd offer them.





My mum was completely against rats until I got my second pair that I rescued from her school and couldn't take the boys as well so she ended up caring for them and loved it.





One word of warning, they get into your heart and it is tragic when they go.
Don't try
Rats are awesome pets!





I had one, my mum didnt like the idea of it but eventually fell in love with it





I say buy them anyways





so long as your parents parents going to kill them





... or you





: )
You can't - is it just rats or any rodents? Could you get hamsters instead?
I am a mother of two children ages 17 %26amp; 11. I ADORE ratties and they make the best pets!! they are social, clean, intelligent, etc... I would suggest getting info that supports your choice, also noting that they are NOT generally nocturnal (won't be noisy at night as other small creatures tend to be) and basically quite entertaining!! Get reputable info off the internet or books from your local library. Share with them in a calm manner, attributes of the rats ( as ratties have no negative traits as we all know) :) My husband did not know we were going to buy rats... we went out to get some other small pet ( i can't recall what type now) and we came home with two. He thinks they're pretty neat too! We can't imagine our lives without ratties now. We will be moving this summer and they are part of the family ( all four of them). They will be, of course, come across the central plains with us from upstate NY. You can imagine what the locals think of them here! I will say that one or two is probably the best # One is good if you spend LOTS of time with them as they will get lonely and need your love and attention. Two work well as they can cuddle with each other during the times when you're busy. Don't give up as they will be your best small animal pet you could dream of. You might have to wait until you are older and have a place of your own and then share with your parents all the benefits of your roommate! Chin up and keep smiling!
wow! rats are so cute! i have 2 and they are so sociable they let you ply with them and they never bit or nything!my sister cryed fo her first 2 3 years ago then when theydied everyone loved them so we got some more! MY LIFE STORY!
how can any one say rats are discusting you cant say that unless you have had some they r nothin like the wild ones they r lovin and friendly i have had 3 sets of 2 in the past ( at different times) and i know have 3 . rats are friendly and love being played with thery are also inquizative animals


also rats are better as a pair becouse they like company.


my auntie hated rats until she come to my house where held one and then fell in love with them.


xxxx
You can't convince them for one simple reason: because you are talking about rats.





Not exactly the most lovable creature out there. Try to look at it from their standpoint and respect their wishes.
You really want to buy 2 rat's? No eonder they don't want you to buy them. They are disgusting creatures, that's why!

No comments:

Post a Comment